The Trempealeau County Foods Revue takes place on March 30th, 2019 at the Galesville Middle School from 10 AM until 2 PM!
Doors open at 9:30 AM and judging begins at 10 AM.
The Foods Revue is an opportunity for youth to share their love of food! It is a chance to show and tell the food that the youth prepared and how the food fits in with a meal that they have planned. It also gives the youth a chance to see what others have done and gain new ideas from them. It will give the youth a chance to prepare and evaluate foods other than the types shown at the fair. Youth will have the opportunity to speak with the judge and to truly learn more about their project.
Spectators (like grandparents) are welcome to attend, and we’ll have chairs set up for their comfort.
Entries that youth can take to the foods revue include: Food Showmanship, Food or Nutrition Projects, Food Project Activity, Nutrition Project Activity, Decorated Cookies, Decorated Cupcakes, Decorated Cakes, Candy and Confections. Food Showmanship is a creative presentation of food including place-setting, menu and recipe cards
Registration opens on Sunday, January 20, 2019. Registration closes on Wednesday, March 20, 2019.
Online entries are how you register for the event.
Regulations for ALL the Foods Revue Entries:
ALL entries include: Showmanship, Projects, Decorating and Candy.
- All exhibits must be the result of project work for the current year.
- Exhibitor must complete a ‘Reflect & Write’ sheet for each entry. Please bring it with the projects that you are exhibiting.
- Write and Reflect Sheet found here.
- All participants must be enrolled in food, nutrition, cake decorating, or similarly-named projects withing their youth organization.
- Youth MUST set-up and clear their own exhibits. Parents, leaders, or other adults may give advice prior to entering the exhibit hall, but once inside, youth must do ALL the work of setting up their displays.
- Displays must remain in place until the end of the Foods Revue.
- Any exhibit not meeting the regulations may be rejected or downgraded at least one level.
- Recipients of Award of Excellence ribbons at the Foods Revue MUST exhibit the winning display/item WITH RIBBONS at the Trempealeau County Fair in July or make arrangements for setup and take-down. Use the following schedule:
- Wednesday night before the fair OR Thursday morning of the Fair BEFORE 9:00 AM
- Showmanship and Activity/Project winners –
- Showmanship winners bring everything except the food
- Project winners bring entire display OR photo board
- Foods Revue registration forms must be entered online no later than Wednesday, March 20, 2019.
- To receive premiums, participants in any Foods Revue class MUST fill out and return a Fair Entry Form at fair time AND use the Class and Lot numbers found in the Fair Book.
- The Danish judging system will be used.
Foods Revue Entries:
Entries that youth can take to the foods revue include: Food Showmanship, Food Project Activity, Nutrition Project Activity, Decorated Cookies, Decorated Cupcakes, Decorated Cakes, Candy and Confections. Food Showmanship is a creative presentation of food including place-setting, menu and recipe cards. You can click on each of the entry categories below to figure out what the class is, and the lot number(s) that you will be showing at the Foods Revue so you can register in the online entry process.
- 2019 Food Showmanship Entries
- Food Project Activity Entries
- Nutrition Project Activity Entries
- Decorated Cookies/Cupcakes/Cakes Entries
- Candy and Confections Entries
Foods Revue Online Entry Process:
You register for the Foods Revue by online entry. You can start registration on Sunday, January 20, 2019. All registrations need to be completed by Wednesday, March 20, 2019.
Please go to the Trempealeau County Fair website and click on the Fair Book tab, then click on Online Entry in the drop down menu, and then click on “Click Here To Take You To Online Entry!” Ignore the fact that the wording on that page is yet in regards to the previous years Fair. You then can create an account and choose your Food Revue entries.
Don’t forget to save your username and password information for you will need that later in March to access your account to enter your items for the Fair. The Fair Secretary has not yet updated the rest of the fairbook yet, so please do not choose any other Fair items at this time, just enter your Foods Revue items.
Questions regarding online entry, please contact Cindy George at email@example.com.
Helpful Hints for the Foods Revue:
- Helpful Hints for Everyone
- There are lots of extra pages in this packet. Be sure to read through everything—it will ALL help you improve your exhibits. We LIKE it when you make it “hard” for the judge to decide which entries should get the blue ribbons! ☺
- Helpful Hints for SHOWMANSHIP ENTRIES
- “Showmanship” is about presentation. Winning entries will go beyond the ordinary; they will look sharp, be neat, and show imagination. Winning exhibitors will look the judge in the eye and speak clearly.
- Practice preparing your recipe until you have a good product each time. Also, the judge will want to know if you’ve made this food before.
- Your “showmanship” entry must include a menu card, and you MUST include recipes for the foods that you are required to make. You do NOT need to include recipes for other foods on the menu card.
- Bring the dishes your food will be served on or in, plus flatware, some kind of table covering. Of course if your lot requires a centerpiece, make it “fit” with the food or the theme for your age group. You can dress to enhance your food-theme, too. (You don’t have to, but you can if you want.)
- Helpful Hints for SHOWMANSHIP & NUTRITION ENTRIES
- Make yourself familiar with MY Plate included in this packet, and that your menu is nutritious. There’s a very good chance the judge will ask how your menu fits into the plate.
- Helpful Hints for Parents
- Resist the temptation to coach your child once s/he walks through the door of the exhibit hall. Coaching from the sidelines is also poor sportsmanship. Work at home so your child is comfortable setting the table and prepping the food and can answer questions about it. You can sit back and“enjoy” the Foods Revue!
- If you would like more hints please also check out our resource Helpful Hints for Preparing-for-Foods-Revue