The Festival of the Arts event is a great opportunity for 4-Her’s to explore their artistic, communicative, and dramatic skills. There are a variety of different types of art that you can showcase – some individually, and some as a group.
The event takes place on Saturday, February 9th, 2019 at the Whitehall School from 8:30 AM until 1 PM.
You can sign up to participate in: Group Music (instrumental, vocal, dance, or novelty), Solo and Duet Music, Group Mini-Drama, Group Play Reading, Group Drama, Demonstrations and Illustrated Talks, Action Center, Communication Arts, Marketing, Photography, and Arts and Crafts
Registration EXTENDED. Needs to be completed by Monday, February 4th.
Descriptions of what you can participate in:
- GROUP MUSIC: Categories include instrumental, vocal, dance, or novelty (i.e. variety, lip sync). If tapes are used, only instrumental accompaniment tapes are permitted. Vocal tapes will be allowed for lip sync or dance numbers only. No open flames, hay, straw, cornstalks, shavings, or sawdust may be used. No directing is permitted from the audience or in front of the stage.
- Time Guidelines: The maximum performance time limit is 12 minutes. Clock starts with opening of curtain. No minimum timelimit.
- SOLO and DUET MUSIC: Includes vocal, instrumental, vocal/instrumental, dance and variety.
- Time Guidelines: Maximum of 3 minutes
- GROUP MINI-DRAMA: Produced with minimal props (no special lighting, hay, straw, candles, or open flames) and costumes, they may be performed in a classroom. Examples include: skits, puppetry, or creative dramatics.
- Time Guidelines: A maximum time limit of 15 minutes, including set-up and takedown. No minimum time limit.
- GROUP PLAY READING: Group must consist of 3 or more participants. Readers are to make their selection ‘come alive’ without the use of costumes and props. Hand movements and facial expressions are acceptable. Movement around the stage is not acceptable. Presented without microphones or artificial devices. Scripts are to be used.
- Time Guidelines: A maximum performance time limit is 12 minutes. No minimum time limit.
- GROUP DRAMA: One act play, commercial, or original drama. No open flames, hay straw, cornstalks, shavings, or sawdust are to be used. No directing is permitted from the audience or in front of the stage.
- Time Guidelines: The maximum performance time limit is 30 minutes. Clock starts with opening of curtain and ends with final curtain.
- DEMONSTRATIONS AND ILLUSTRATED TALKS: Either teach someone how or show, and tell how to do something. Consists of 4 parts—a) Introduction, b) Body, c) Conclusion, and d) Questions from audience. Visuals and charts can be used. Use maps, charts, posters, graphs, pictures, slides or models to explain what you’re saying.
- Time Guidelines: 15 minute maximum
- ACTION CENTER: A show-and-tell with an emphasis on showing. Presenter(s) carry on conversation with passerby (no seated audience). People watching take part by—a) Watching and Listening, b) Talking with Demonstrator, c) Trying Things with Senses, d) Judging things, or e) Asking Questions. Handouts may be used (instructions, directions, recipes, etc.); posters or pictures can be used to show key steps or to show a close-up view.
- Time Guidelines: 15-30 minutes total
- COMMUNICATION ARTS: The selected category must have 1 or 2 readers. Categories that can be selected include: Memorized Selection, Prose-reading, Poetry-reading, Original Speeches, Storytelling, and Play-reading.
- Time Guidelines: Maximum time for all categories is 5 minutes
- MARKETING: All items submitted will be displayed together. Any item is acceptable that can be used for promotion of 4-H. All entries must have at least one green clover with the four H’s. Examples would include: posters, placemats, tabletop design, sweatshirts, etc. that promote 4-H visually. See registration form for entry labeling requirements.
- PHOTOGRAPHY: All items submitted will be displayed together on display boards. Photos submitted may be 5” by 7” photos or emailed as jpegs. Photos may be color or black & white, standard or digital, or any appropriate subject. Categories are limited to animals, people, and scenes. Photos must be mounted on top of poster board (any color) measuring 6” by 8”. See registration form for entry labeling requirements.
- ARTS & CRAFTS: No woodworking. All arts and crafts entries will be displayed together; no individual county displays. Arts and crafts are limited to a total of 6 entries/entrant. Any article that has been made in the current 4-H year. See registration form for entry labeling requirements. Articles will be evaluated on quality of exhibit and age of participant. Evaluation criteria include: 1) Originality/Creativity, 2) Neatness, 3) Artistic Merit, and 4) Appropriate.
Registration is due by FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 1st, 2019.
lf you have any questions about the event please contact 4-H Program Coordinator, Sarah Tanis at firstname.lastname@example.org